The WRC Office is located the the Joe Thornton Recreation Center – 624 College Street, Winfield, KS 67156.
|WRC Office Hours
|Monday – Thursday
|8:00am – 5:00pm
|8:00am – 1:00pm
WRC Fitness & Joe Thornton Rec Center
*If there is an AFTER HOURS emergency please call 316-204-1540.
|WRC Fitness & Joe Thornton Rec Center Hours
|Monday – Thursday
|5:30am – 9:00pm
|5:30am – 7:00pm
|8:00am – 4:00pm
|12:00pm – 4:00pm
General Program Information
The WRC offers a wide variety of recreation programs, sports leagues, special events, fitness and aquatics programs for Winfield community members of all ages. WRC operates the Joe Thornton Recreation Center and Fitness Center located at 624 College Street in Winfield, Kansas and also operates an indoor swimming pool located on the Southwestern University campus at the White P.E. Building on Warren Street in Winfield.
The Winfield Recreation Commission mails out quarterly program guides to all mailing addresses in Winfield. These program guides list all programs and special events sponsored by the WRC for summer, fall, winter and spring.
- All classes are filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration is required prior to the start of class. No registrations will be accepted by the instructor.
- All classes have a minimum and maximum enrollment. PLEASE NOTE: If minimum enrollment is not met two working days prior to the first class, the class will be cancelled or combined with another class.
- $30 will be charged for returned checks.
- You will not be contacted unless your class is cancelled or changed.
- Waiting lists will be established when classes are full.
- Fees will not be prorated!
- No refunds after the 2nd class meets.
- Refunds may take 2-4 weeks to process.
- In classes where a T-shirt or supplies have been ordered, the cost of these items will not be refunded. Trip Refunds will be issued in Full if WRC is notified before the registration deadline date.
American Disabilities Act
It is the intent of the WRC to comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act to eliminate and prevent any discrimination in providing access to WRC meetings, facilities, programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be made provided advance notice is given of a specific need. Please contact the WRC office at (620) 221-2160.
Youth Scholarships Available
There is no cost to those families on the KanCare United Healthcare Plan (Excludes Sunflower and Amerigroup). Simply bring in your Member ID card and complete a sign-up form. All other families on the free lunch program will receive a 75% discount. In addition, those families on the reduced lunch program will receive a 50% discount. Scholarships must be requested at the time of registration. Parents need to stop by the WRC office during enrollment periods to complete a scholarship form. Contact Superintendent Troy Moree for more information or to contribute to this scholarship fund. Proof of eligibility MUST be provided at time of enrollment.
Make A Donation
Please visit the registration page to make a donation. All donations go to the Joe Thornton Youth Scholarship Program. The program helps pay for underprivileged Winfield youth to participate in sports and activities.
The Southwestern College Pool is available for party rentals on Fridays from 6-8:00pm, on Saturdays and Sundays from 12-2:00pm, 4-6:00pm and 6-8:00pm. Cost is $75 which includes use of the pool, an area to serve food and drinks plus two lifeguards.
The Thornton Rec Center and the WRC Community Room are available for private party rentals. The Community Room includes tables, chairs, television, long counter space, and a sink. Different options are available depending on your need.
To make a reservation, call the WRC Office (620) 221-2160!